Notice about Anonymity
We are an anonymous service, which includes both our callers and the volunteers who listen to them.
It is therefore very important that you do not tell anyone that you are thinking of training with us, or (if you are selected) that you are a volunteer. Your trainers can explain this policy in greater detail at your first meeting.
- Volunteers must be willing to commit to an initial training session that demonstrates to volunteers different ways to apply active listening techniques.
- Volunteers must commit to do one shift per fortnight between the hours 7pm – 7am during term time. Nightline is based in a self-contained University-owned flat, so it is a safe and comfortable space and is there is an opportunity to sleep, work or watch TV during a shift
- For the foreseeable future, shifts are being carried out remotely instead of the flat using our instant messaging service from 7pm-Midnight.
- Volunteers must be willing to respect confidentiality and anonymity at all times.
- Volunteers must be willing to work as part of a team and allow themselves the opportunity to build valuable inter-personal skills such as listening and communication and further skills if they decide to join the Nightline committee.
Experience is not necessary but volunteers must be registered students at Glasgow University.